Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I have some excerpts from the journal I have been keeping for my son...sounds like a good place to start.

This one is from February 6th, 2010

It is around 4 am something and you cry. You don’t stop and I worry in light of the recent stomach illness you had. I go into your nursery and your cries fill the air. I change you and check you over and nothing- not sure why the cries. I swaddle us in a blanket and we cuddle close on the chair. Sophie comes to see what it wrong- like she always does. She finds a way to top her furry little self right on the top of our swaddle sundae- just like a cherry on top. You cry and I rock you and suddenly you stop. All I can hear is the hum of the humidifier and then the lullabies in my head. I am overwhelmed by the feeling of love- just pure love found so simply in the way I hold you and suddenly your hand strokes my face and the love is returned just as it will be during your life I softly promise to you. I worry that your stretch of 12 hours of rest might be over and I think about my tired head at work and I push those thoughts past and enter the moment and feel the love that just pure love. Again you touch my shoulder and I know you just needed me. Matthew I will be here for you- I whisper the promise. At this point sophie’s licking is starting to make you giggle- so the cherry on our swaddle sundae must roll off and she slowly sets to the floor near us. I lay you back in your crib and you settle into the center and you hands quickly find a spot to ease yourself back into rest. I maybe tired in the morning – but the stroke of your little fingers on my face- another memory to keep in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment